I remember when I was younger and Myspace was the popular form of social media, well, it was pretty much the only form of social media. I never knew that when I changed my background color, my pictures, my fonts and my text it was I altering the HTML of my Myspace account. Seriously, how cool is that? Myspace created a place for users to go and utilize HTML. Gosh, I used to spend hours and days changing the layout of my Myspace because it was so fascinating to me.
It is an understatement for me to say I was excited to have this assignment. And I was always excited to know what it was I was doing to my Myspace account many years ago. To begin my HTML web page I needed to think of what it was going to be about. I picked something very close to me: Phi Sigma Sigma and The National Kidney Foundation. Each year we donate time and money to support the NKF so I thought it would be a great thing to highlight in my web page. After I chose my topic of information it was time for the fun to begin; yes, it was time to code!
Coding to me seemed relatively easy. I used a learning guide on http://w3schools.com/html/, a website Dr. Bock provided for us, to create my hypertext markup. For me, it was a lot of copy and pasting and then taking out what did not apply to my page and inputting what did. For example, to create my heading I used <h1>My First Heading</h1>, took out “My First Heading” and put “Phi Sigma Sigma: We Walk To Save Lives.” The most challenging part was adding an image. I found it difficult to add an image from Facebook because my pictures are private; therefore, the image was not able to appear because it was not a public JPEG. I had to save the image, open it in a web page and then copy the JPEG image file for it to work. What I found to be most fun and interesting was adding a link. I chose to add two links into my text paragraph. I created a hyperlink to the Phi Sigma Sigma international homepage and to the NKF Walk homepage. I thought it was awesome that I was able to create links within my paragraphs.
The most important parts of the hypertext was always remembering to put ‘<’ at the beginning and ‘>’ at the ending of each section. If one of these were forgotten all the text would appear. I thought it would be cool to make the background orange because it is the color associated with the National Kidney Foundation. Just as I did for the other parts I copy and pasted the code from the website and changed my desired color to “orange.” Overall, being able to use HTML was a great experience and brought back some great memories.
No comments:
Post a Comment