Tuesday, October 25, 2011

From one life to two..

Ever wonder what it would be like to live a different life?  If you were given the opportunity to be the opposite sex for a day would you seize it?  I think there have been times where I wished I could pretend to be a boy, or pretend to be older for a day to see what life is like but it was always just a thought.  Never in a million years did I think a software program would be designed that allows people to live another life.
According to the Second Life website, it is an online virtual world that was developed in 2003 to allow people to interact with each other through avatars.  Second Life allows people to participate in individual or group activities.  It also allows avatars to create and trade virtual property.  As a class assignment I was asked to make a Second Life (2L) account and browse around.  Wow, Linden Lab, an internet company, did a really great job creating 2L. So, I am sure you are wondering how was my experience, right?

First, I had to pick a name for my avatar.  I remember in class someone asking about using their first name and it was frowned down upon.  Afterall, if you were trying to create a "second life" why would you use your real name?  I had to google the proper netiquette of names for Second Life.  There were so many rules!  I just decided to go with "Kristin Partini."  I picked Kristin because it is kind of close to my name (I know, I didn't really branch out and away from my real life or "first life") and "Partini" because it was this awesome game sitting on my island as I started my account.  You're right, I probably should have thought a little more outside of the box, but it is my first time!  After making my name, which took probably 15 minutes, I had to pick an avatar.  I wanted to be a girl and I wanted to find one that looked like me.  Perfect!  The girl with black hair, sunglasses, a shopping bag, black heels, a jacket and jeans on, that definitely represents me.  Next step was to actually play or participate in Second Life!

I had a really hard time navigating and walking through Second Life.  In fact, it was so frustrating I gave up and had to come back to it the next day.  Once I kind of got the hang of walking around I found my professor, which was cool to talk to someone I knew.  While being in Second Life I was asked to join someone on an island, I figured why not!?  Bad idea, it was cannibal island!  I quickly got off and went somewhere else.  I tried going to a shopping mall but there were so many that it annoyed me.  I tried to change the clothes on my avatar, but could not figure that out either.  I left her in the standard clothes she came in. 

Overall, although my time in Second Life was short, it was very interesting.  The idea of being able to live a life in another gender it kind of a neat idea that people can actually do it!  I recommend Second Life to anyone who has not tried it just so you can say you did it!  So go on and live another life for a day!

1 comment:

  1. It is fun to try on other lives -- humans have done this with festivals like Mardis Gras for centuries...now we get to take it to a whole new level.

    ReplyDelete